Information Systems Core Module
The Information Systems module is one of three core modules that forms part of the Level 4 Certificate in IT – the first stage within the BCS three-stage Higher Education Qualification programme.
Candidates will develop fundamental knowledge and understanding relating to data management, systems analysis and design, explore information flow within organisations, and consider the impact of emerging trends in information technology.
Qualification Suitability and Overview
There are no specific entrance requirements for the Certificate in IT. Candidates can study for this certificate by attending a training course provided by a BCS accredited Training Provider or through self-study, although it is strongly recommended that all candidates register with an approved centre. Studying with an approved centre will deliver significant benefits.
Candidates are required to become a member of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, to sit and be awarded the qualifications. Candidates may apply for a four-year student membership that will support them throughout their studies.
The Level 4 Certificate is suitable for candidates new to the profession who are keen to develop industry relevant skills and knowledge, as well as professionals wishing to gain a formal IT qualification. Candidates taking this module may be interested in career opportunities such as network administration, systems analysis, computer programming, or consultancy.
Upon completion of this module, candidates will be able to:
- Understand the management and support of computer systems in an organisation
- Show an understanding of the flow of information within organisations
- Understand the differing types and processing of information
- Propose practical solutions to given analytical problems
- Demonstrate the effective use of a chosen methodology through requirements analysis and fact-finding techniques
- Display an awareness of systems development tools and techniques
- Become conversant with system design issues
- Develop awareness of the basic ideas behind using a computer to store and manipulate data
- Display knowledge of data analysis and modelling techniques
- Discuss various database management architectures
- Demonstrate an awareness of Human Computer Interaction and the use of multimedia and hypermedia
- Suggest suitable testing strategies and implementation techniques
- Understand the need for quality assurance/security in computer systems development and operation
- Bonus Course 4 – Python Web Programming
- Bonus Course 5 – Learn Python Django From Scratch
- Bonus Course 6 – Python Object Oriented Programming Fundamentals
- Bonus Course 7 – Python Programming For Beginners
- Bonus Course 8 – Data Analyst with Python and Pandas
- Bonus Course 9 – Data Visualization with Python and Matplotlib
- Bonus Course 10 – Python Game Development – Create a Flappy Bird Clone